Call for proposals for Flourish: A Celebration of LGBTQ Arts + Culture
Call for Proposals from Artists, Performers, Lecturers for Flourish: A Celebration of LGBT Arts + Culture
The Queer Arts Consortium is accepting proposals from individuals and organizations representing the full diversity of LGBTQ arts and culture to be showcased at Flourish: A Celebration of LGBTQ Arts + Culture which will occur August 20, 2016, in conjunction with the Charlotte Pride Festival and Parade.
Now in its fourth year, Flourish is a festival-within-a-festival that provides an opportunity for LGBT artists, writers, dancers, musicians, poets, subject-matter lecturers, etc. to present, exhibit, and perform during the annual Charlotte Pride Festival.
“We have established criteria for selecting artists, exhibitors, performers, and presenters, and we are working to present a combination of performers from past years along with performers who are new to Flourish in order to fully represent varied aspects of LGBT arts and culture,” said John Quillin, event organizer.
Selection will be based on the following criteria:
- All performances, exhibits, lectures, etc. must advance the goals of the Queer Arts Consortium and Flourish:
- The Queer Arts Consortium provides a forum in which Charlotte’s LGBT and allied visual and performing arts organizations and artists can (1) Support each other artistically and administratively; (2) Develop meaningful artistic collaborations, especially across disciplines; (3) Explore cost-savings and cooperative administrative programs.
- To promote LGBT community unity through cultural exhibition
- To promote pride in LGBT arts, culture, history, and community
- To engage the entire community in celebration of LGBT arts & culture
- To promote intergenerational cooperation
- We aim for a diverse program, with a balance of traditional, popular, and contemporary arts, and a mix of multi-generational, long-time and new participants.
- Flourish highlights LGBT arts, culture and history. At the same time, we try to make connections with other communities so we welcome proposals from allied artists, performers, and lecturers whose work highlights LGBT arts, culture, and history.
- Flourish was conceived as a way to claim, display and promote the diverse, unique, and valuable LGBT culture, and promote community pride. It is an occasion for giving voice and visibility to arts, culture and history that are often marginalized and denigrated. QAC, therefore, makes its best effort to ensure Flourish includes as broad a spectrum of the LGBT arts and culture scene as possible.
If you are interested in performing at Flourish, please complete the form following and submit it by July 22, 2016, via email to: John C. Quillin, Queer Arts Consortium, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your proposal will be reviewed and you will be contacted once final decisions have been made. If you have any questions, please contact John Quillin at 704.549.9202 or email@example.com.
What: Flourish: A Celebration of LGBTQ Arts + Culture
Description: A “festival within a festival,” Flourish will present Charlotte’s rich LGBT arts and cultural scene during the Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade.
Where: PNC Bank Festival Zone, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, 420 South Tryon St.
When: Saturday, August 20, 2016, beginning at 12:00 PM
Sponsor: Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
Presented by: Queer Arts Consortium
Schedule Info: www.queerartsconsortium.org
Flourish: A Celebration of LGBTQ Arts + Culture is an official attraction at the Charlotte Pride PNC Bank Festival Zone.
The Queer Arts Consortium provides a forum in which Charlotte’s LGBT visual and performing arts organizations and artists can (1) Support each other artistically and administratively; (2) Develop meaningful artistic collaborations, especially across disciplines; (3) Explore cost-savings and cooperative administrative programs.