Applications are now open for 2020-2021 programs, festival, and parade teams!
Charlotte Pride is the leader in LGBTQ visibility in Charlotte and the Carolinas. We present and collaborate on programs, projects, and activities, including the annual Charlotte Pride Festival and Parade, Charlotte Latinx Pride, Charlotte Trans Pride, Charlotte Women’s Pride, and Reel Out Charlotte, The Queen City’s Annual LGBTQ Film Festival, among others.
We are now accepting applications to join several planning and volunteer leadership teams with Charlotte Pride! Due to the tremendous changes in our world and community this year, we have re-envisioned our volunteer leadership structure and now have two different ways — on the Festival & Parade Team or on the Programs Team — you can step into a volunteer leadership role with Charlotte Pride!
The Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade Team
The Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade Team is comprised of our team coordinators who oversee the vital areas of each year’s Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade, including areas like vendors and the festival zone, parade, VIP, entertainment, weekend volunteer recruitment and management, and more. Festival and parade team coordinators work closely with Charlotte Pride staff and with each other to plan and execute the festival and parade. These team coordinator positions are ideal for volunteers who would like to step into more longterm and involved leadership roles with Charlotte Pride.
What are the responsibilities of a member of the Festival & Parade Team?
- Regularly communicate with staff, board members, and other team members and volunteers through Charlotte Pride-provided email addresses
- Attend our Team Huddles held monthly
- Be present at Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade from Friday through Sunday to complete individual duties or act as an accessory to teams with additional work
- Meet monthly with staff throughout year and more frequent as event draws close
- Be available to work between 3 – 5 hours a week on assigned tasks or with staff
What does a member of the Festival & Parade Team do?
That depends, really. For the most part, tasks and commitments for members of the Festival & Parade Team will align with the responsibilities of the various team coordinator positions. One does not need to take on a coordinator position alone. Many of these areas have two or three people leading as co-coordinators or have other members of their team who assist. Click here to learn more about the specific team coordinator roles and positions in the Festival & Parade Team.
The Charlotte Pride Programs Team
The Charlotte Pride Programs Team creates and supports year-round programs, projects, and events for Charlotte Pride. Our programs represent a variety of different interests and identities, and include many different types of events, including socials, educational events, arts and culture (like Reel Out Charlotte, The Queen City’s Annual LGBTQ Film Festival), interfaith programs, drag programs, fundraising events, volunteer events, and more. Charlotte Pride often partners and collaborates with other local community organizations, so members of the Programs Team will also have the opportunity to help plan and work on collaborative community events. The Programs Team has an ongoing, year-round focus of its work, differing from the Festival and Parade Team, whose primary purpose is the planning and execution of each year’s annual festival and parade events. Members of this team are able to volunteer year-round, committing whatever time or talents they have as they are able. This Programs Team is ideal for volunteers who want to be involved in more year-round activities or who may not be able to commit to the more intricate responsibilities of the Festival and Parade Team.
What are the responsibilities of a member of the Charlotte Pride Programs Team?
- Commit up to 10 hours monthly to attend meetings, planning discussions, or helping to plan or organize for year-round Charlotte Pride programs and events
- Participate actively in the monthly programs committee meeting and commit to attending 9 out of 12 monthly meetings throughout the year
- Commit to supporting the coordination of at least three projects, programs, or events during the year
What does a member of the Charlotte Pride Programs Team do?
- Works with staff members and alongside other Program Team members and volunteers to create intentional and creative programming
- Attends monthly meetings to offer ideas, feedback, and suggestions
- Act as an advocate for Charlotte Pride programs, projects, and events by helping to promote and spread the word on social media and among their social circles
- Help to keep community conversation and engagement strong throughout the year by actively participating in Charlotte Pride community spaces, including virtual spaces like our Facebook group or at in-person events and programs
- Have the opportunity to step into additional leadership roles, including coordinator positions for fundraising events, drag programming, interfaith programs, and programs designed to serve various identities in our larger LGBTQ community. Click here to learn more about the some of specific team coordinator roles and positions in the Programs Team.
About the Application Process
This process is meant to help Charlotte Pride identify new leaders, voices, and skills to help increase the impact we can make in our community together. We believe our volunteers are among the best, most hard-working, and committed volunteers in the world.
We don’t want you to be intimidated by this process! It merely exists to help you get to know us better and allows us to see where your awesome talents and skills might best fit! We also want community members to be aware of the kind of commitments expected of them before taking on a leadership role. No one likes to met with surprises!
After you submit an application, a member of our staff will reach out to you to schedule a short virtual meet-and-greet and interview. We’ll discuss your interests and what you’d like to get out of your volunteer leadership. Afterwards, we’ll follow up and get you plugged in!
- Applications Open — September 25
- Deadline for applications — Rolling! We’re accepting applications year-round!
- Interviews — Now through November 30 or whenever we receive your application!
- First Team Meetings — Early December or January (dates to be announced)
Questions and Answers
Q: Should I volunteer for the Programs Team or the Festival & Parade Team?
A: We encourage you to take a look at the specific leadership roles in the Festival & Parade Team. If one or more of those aligns with your interests, skills, and talents, you might consider joining the Festival & Parade Team. If, on the other hand, you are more interested in year-round projects and programs or think you may not have the time, talent, or skills to commit to specific Festival & Parade team coordinator positions, you should apply for the Programs Team.
Q: I want to volunteer, but I’m not quite sure what kind of role I’d like to take on.
A: No worries! Whether you’re applying for the Festival & Parade Team or the Programs Team, our staff will help you think about what roles best align with your interests, skills, and talents. If you’re applying for the Festival & Parade Team, be sure to select all the specific roles you think you may be interested in and, if you’re really not sure, just leave that section blank and we’ll help you think about it in your interview!
Q: I want to volunteer, but I’m not sure I want to take on a specific or longterm leadership role or be solely responsible for a single event, program, or activity. Is that okay?
A: Absolutely! We understand that different people have different talents, skills, and experiences, as well as differing amounts of time commitments they can put toward volunteer leadership opportunities. If you don’t think you have the time to commit to a more structured leadership role, we encourage you to apply for the Programs Team. There, you’ll be able to pitch in, assist, and support programs, projects, and events as you are able.
Q: Can I volunteer for both the Programs Team and a specific Festival & Parade team coordinator role?
A: Yes! Absolutely! We encourage you to step into any awesome leadership role that aligns with your interests, skills, and talents! If you have the time to commit to two roles, do it! Even if you can’t actively commit to two different roles, you’ll still have the opportunity to pitch in and take leadership in a variety of ways. We believe in team work and collaboration!
Q: Are there opportunities for continuing education and volunteer leadership advancement?
A: Yes! Many of our long-time volunteer leaders and board members began first as volunteers only during the weekend of the festival and parade, later stepping into more long-term volunteer leadership roles. You’ll have a similar opportunity to increase your leadership capacity and responsibilities, and the longer you’re involved, the more ability you’ll have to step into new and various leadership roles. We also offer educational events and trainings to our volunteer leaders throughout the year.
Q: How are you handling programs, events, and meetings during COVID-19?
Charlotte Pride is taking above-average precautions during the COVID-19 pandemic. For example, we are not hosting in-person events or activities, and we are not encouraging community members to attend in-person events. Volunteer interviews, monthly team meetings, and other events and programs are being held virtually through Zoom or other online platforms. From time-to-time, we may gather together small and limited numbers of people to help complete specific tasks; when we do, we require the wearing of masks and regular hand washing and sanitizing.