The Charlotte Pride Pageant is a gender-inclusive drag pageant for contestants who believe in the power and importance of community service. Our pageant winners are more than title holders. They live and breathe the Spirit of Pride. They envision a world in which all LGBTQIA+ people are affirmed, respected, and included — free from any discrimination, rejection, or prejudice. They commit their volunteer work, time, and energy to the Charlotte Pride mission to enrich, empower, strengthen, and make more visible the lives and experiences of LGBTQ people in Charlotte and the Carolinas.
Registration is now open!
Registration for this year’s Charlotte Pride Drag Pageant is free! We are not charging any registration fees!
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION: FRIDAY, JULY 7, 2023
About the year’s pageant
This year’s Charlotte Pride Drag Pageant will be held on Saturday, Aug. 19, 2023 from 3:30-6pm, as a component of the 2023 Charlotte Pride Festival on the Community Stage, in order to increase community participation, encourage broader community awareness of drag art forms, and broaden exposure of the talented pageant contestants.
This year’s Charlotte Pride Pageant follows suit with the 2022 pageant in-line with our commitment toward intentional inclusion and visibility. We have combined previously separate pageant contests, with each titled contest this year open to all performers regardless of gender.
Up to three winners will be selected, and will equally reign as the Charlotte Pride Court: Mx. Charlotte Pride, Ms. Charlotte Pride, and Mr. Charlotte Pride
A tented and ventilated dressing room near the stage will be available for all contestants.
FREE to attend as part of the 2023 Charlotte Pride Festival.
Contestants must meet the following criteria in order to participate in the 2023 Charlotte Pride Pageant:
- Contestant must be at least 18 years of age.
- Contestant must reside within a 100-mile radius of the Charlotte, NC.
- Contestant must not be a current or former Charlotte Pride titleholder in any division.
- Each contestant will have an interview with the judging panel.
- All interviews will take place at the Charlotte Pride offices ahead of the 2023 pageant. Final dates to be confirmed in July 2023.
- The interview will be used to determine finalists for competition if more than three contestants register to compete for a single title.
- “Show Your Pride” Presentation and On-Stage Question
- This category is intended to allow participants to showcase their creative interpretation of what Pride means to them.
- Contestants are encouraged to choose one or more colors from a chosen pride flag (Gay, Bi, Trans, Nonbinary, Bear, Pup, etc.) and present a creative costume displaying what pride means to them.
- On-stage questions will function as a quasi-interview with hosts, who will ask questions that pageant winners will likely answer during their reign as a Title Holder.
- Any type of talent is acceptable, except those that are illegal or which may cause personal injury to the audience or any other person.
- Talent is limited to seven minutes.
- All music for the talent category must be submitted via email to Liz Schob at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 11.
- All participants must also bring a hard copy of their music on a flash drive to the performance itself.
- Each contestant will be allowed up to two (2) dancers.
Prize Package and Festival/Parade Appearances
Each winning Title Holder will receive:
- Crown and sash
- $150 cash prize
Title Holders will also be expected to:
- Appear at up to three events chosen by Charlotte Pride.
- Serve as a Team Coordinator for the next year’s Charlotte Pride Festival and Parade Planning Committee.
- Perform on the Main Stage on Sunday, August 20.
- Appear in the 2023 Pride Parade.
- Appear at the 2023 Pride VIP Area.
- Perform in the 2023 Festival Youth & Family Zone.
Please see pageant rules and regulations for more details on each category and other requirements.
2023 Pageant Rules
Click here to see pageant rules and regulations