The Charlotte Pride Scholarship aims to improve economic mobility for LGBTQ and ally college students from the Charlotte metro area by funding college scholarships.
Recipients will be eligible for up to $2,500 for the 2020-2021 school year at an accredited two or four-year college.
In 2020, amidst the COVID-19 crisis, there have been so many programs cancelled or rescheduled by our organization and many others. We have been incredibly lucky that our generous sponsors have allowed us to continue creating unique online programs and events.
Under normal circumstance, young folks face incredible financial uncertainty in accessing higher education, and that is only exacerbated in the current climate. To help mitigate some of those worries, we knew that our scholarship program was absolutely an essential part of our 2020 programming with or without an in-person festival and parade.
A special thank you to our sponsors and donors who help us create this opportunity!
All applications are due Monday, July 13, 2020, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION
Please note: We suggest that you compile all the information you will need in order to complete the application, including: Basic demographic data (name, address, age, etc.), high school/college GPA and transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable), SAT or ACT scores (please provide only your best score if you have taken multiple tests), work history, community involvements, and extracurricular activities (you may submit a resume), and one essay of 500-800 words or one piece (or more) of original artwork.
Applicants must be/have:
- A high school senior or college student from the Charlotte metro area (see county map and list below) with a GPA of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale
- An LGBTQ or ally student who has demonstrated service to the LGBTQ community or strong desire to serve the LGBTQ community.
- Taken either the SAT or ACT and received their results
- A demonstrated, significant unmet financial need
- Enrolled or intending to enroll at an accredited two or four-year college in North or South Carolina for the Fall term of the 2020-2021 academic year
- Note that preference will be given to full-time students and to part-time students in their junior or senior years of college; other part-time students who demonstrate the passion, willingness and ability to complete their degree will be considered
- Note that preference will be giving to students attending college in North or South Carolina, but all applicants will be considered
- Applicants must be from one of the following counties: Mecklenburg, York, Union, Gaston, Cabarrus, Iredell, Rowan, Cleveland, Lancaster, Lincoln, Stanly, Chester, Catawba, Chesterfield, Alexander, or Anson.
Scholarship Details & Requirements
- While we consider your GPA and test scores, we place greater emphasis on your passion for education and demonstrated service to the LGBTQ community or a desire to serve the LGBTQ community
- Multiple applicants will be selected; the final number will depend on applicant volume and qualifications
- The Charlotte Pride Scholarship provides up to $2,500 and may be used to cover your tuition, fees, on-campus housing or books at an accredited non-profit academic institution in the 2020-2021 academic year
- Application open date: Monday, June 1, 2020
- Application due date: Monday, July 13, 2020, 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time
- Award notification date: Friday, July 31, 2020
- Note that applicants will be notified via email
Completing the application
- All applications are due on Monday, July 13, 2020, by 11:59pm Eastern Standard Time; no late applications will be accepted
- Applicants or potential applicants may email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- You must submit your application online at https://charlottepride.org/scholarship/. You will receive a confirmation email that your application has been received
Share the news!
We invite you to share information about the Charlotte Pride Scholarship with your networks on social media, in your community organizations, student clubs and on campus!